The PADI Open Water Diver course is intended for everyone that wants to experience new sensations and explore new worlds!
Learn to scuba dive today!
Your ticket to the underwater world!
Whether you’ve done a Discover Scuba Diving program before or you are completely new to diving, The Dive Shack’s PADI Open Water Diver Course is the way to go when you want to learn how to scuba dive in a comfortable and fun way!
The Open Water Diver Course will open the door to a completely new world. Imagine a world with different animals, plants and objects than we are used to on land. Besides the pristine reefs and world famous wreck and jetty dives in South Australia, think about what you can see on local, interstate or international trips! Imagine diving in Kangaroo Island, the Great Barrier Reef or in the tropical waters of Thailand, Vanuatu or Fiji.
By becoming a certified PADI Open Water Diver, you open the door to a whole new world of fun, adventure and friendships. The Dive Shack will take you all the way through your journey and beyond.
The Dive Shack’s PADI Open Water Course
Our courses are run over 3 days. There is an introductory session in our on site custom built classroom, this is where any questions you have can be nutted out, answered and the instructor can enhance your understanding of the diving basics. Following this, your confined water training will be conducted in a pool where you practice your diving skills and get used to the underwater environment and your diving equipment.
The second weekend is your open water dives. The Dive Shack is one of the only stores in Adelaide that offer boat dives in our course which leaves you more competent and cable to dive upon the completion of your course.
Upon completion of your course, when you dive on our boat we will have a dive professional on board who can buddy with you at no extra charge.
Course Packages available
Basic Course $599
This is our open water course without all the bells and whistles. Included in the course is all your diving equipment, online learning, pool session and Open Water Dives, including two boat dives.
Deluxe Wetsuit Deal $849
– Our most popular deal
This is just like our basic open water course PLUS all the bells and whistles. This course includes the bonus of a 5mm Aqua Lung Aquaflex wetsuit for you to keep (valued at $399) and a voucher for a double boat dive including hire gear to use within 6 months of the completion of your course (valued at $165). That is an added value of $564 for only $246!
- 7mm Aqua Lung Aquaflex Wetsuit (Valued at $499) Additional $90
- 8mm SolAfx Semi-Dry Wetsuit (Valued at $599) Additional $150
Private Tuition from $1199
Don’t feel comfortable learning in a group or think you can benefit from one on one tuition then the Private course may be the one for you. By doing this course you can be sure that your instructor can pay particular attention to you and take as long or as little time as you need on all your diving skills.
There are just 4 simple steps to becoming a PADI Open Water Diver with The Dive Shack
- Book onto a course. Talk to our friendly team about when you are available to do the course and what course deal you would like to select. Have some friends that are also interested? If you can get a group of 4 together we can tailor the dates and times to your specific availability.
- Select your personal diving ‘software’. This is your mask, snorkel, boots and fins. We recommend that all our students invest in your own basic diving items to use during the course, this means they will fit well and you won’t have to wonder who the last person to spit in that mask was. Our friendly team of dive professionals will be able to help you to select the perfect gear for your wants and needs.
- Complete your online learning. After signing up to a course with us and paying your deposit, you will get signed up to PADI eLearning. This must be completed along with the review questions before the commencement of your course.
- Turn up with your learning cap on and your sense of adventure. You are about to embark into another world of plants and animals that you may not have been able to see up close and their natural habitat before. Enter into the diving world with an open mind and you are guaranteed to be amazed by what there is to discover in this new and wonderful world!
What happens next? Check out what Advanced Courses we have available.
You will need to be reasonably comfortable in the water and be able to swim 200 metres (without a time limit and by using any swimming strokes you like best). And last but not least, you’ll need a sense of adventure!
You won’t need to buy any training materials as these are all provided by The Dive Shack (PADI eLearning is included in the course costs). We do however suggest to our Open Water students to invest in your software (mask, snorkel, boots and fins). These will have a personal fit and exactly the features that suit you best. It is always a good idea to get as much of your own equipment as possible, as you will be more comfortable during training when using gear that is chosen by and fitted for you. You will be provided ample opportunity to invest in your equipment during the course, and you can exchange items at any moment if you are not happy with them during the pool sessions of the course! We do however have a lot of rental equipment that can be hired during the course. All of the hardware (buoyancy control vest, regulators, weight belt, weights) is supplied by us for you to use during your Open Water Course!
First of all, you can go diving whenever you want, wherever you want throughout the world as long as you take your PADI Open Water Diver certification card with you! Because PADI is one of the world’s largest diving associations with more than 2000 facilities in over 90 countries, there is always a PADIfacility near you wherever you’ll want to go diving – and even if there isn’t, the PADI certification cards are recognized by all other major diving associations. As far as continuing education goes, the possibilities are endless! At The Dive Shack, we recommend to get a couple of dives under your belt, to be able to figure out which specialties you would like to do or you could test-dive five specialties first before deciding which one to take by doing the PADI Advanced Open Water course!